As we noted very briefly towards the beginning of this lesson...sometimes the
Bible uses the word faith to refer to something more than an individual's faith
toward God or to Christ. One of two Greek words for "faith"...pistis...is
also defined as "the system of religious (gospel) truth." Or in other
words, "the faith" is often used to mean the collection of Biblical beliefs or
Following are just a few of many examples:
the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the
faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons..." 1
"Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common
salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend
earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints."
"There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one
hope of your calling;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of all who is over all and through
all and in all.
But to each one of us grace was given
according to the measure of Christ's gift." Ephesians 4:4-7
"This testimony is true. For this cause reprove them severely that they
may be sound in the faith..." Titus 1:13
"And the word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples
continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were
becoming obedient to the faith." Acts 6:7
When you look at the teachings, stories, history and promises contained in
the New Testament (e.g., the system of religious truths...or the collection of
Biblical beliefs or truth), you might refer to these as "the faith."
These represent the collection of truth that true Christians come to have faith
in...and obedience to.
According to the scriptures listed above, which of the following are true
statements about "the faith?"
- The Holy Spirit tells us that some Christians will fall away from the
faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.
- The faith is something that we earnestly contend for.
- The faith was once for all delivered to the saints.
- The faith was not complete and we need prophets today to make it complete.
- There is one body, one Spirit, one hope of your calling, one Lord, one
faith, one baptism, and one God and Father.
- It may be necessary to reprove some Christians so that they may be sound
in the faith.
- As the word of God kept on spreading, a great many of the Jewish priests
were becoming obedient to the faith.
- Faith never requires obedience.